Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bob Marshall: #2 at convention, #1 in our hearts

Well, mine at least.

In case you missed it, earlier today former VA Governor Jim Gilmore just barely beat out conservative Delegate Bob Marshall for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate.

Reports the WaPo:

Despite outspending his rival by more than 8 to 1, Gilmore
was nearly upset by a coalition of antiabortion and anti-tax activists,
libertarians and some moderate Republicans from Northern Virginia who backed
Marshall.

I voted for Marshall at the convention and I don't regret it. I'm not bitter or anything, but I suspect that Republicans will find they have saddled themselves with damaged goods. Even though Gilmore enjoys great name recognition, he starts with negatives in the 40s. By contrast, so few people know who Bob Marshall is; Marshall could have started out on a clean slate and the like. Besides, Marshall is inspiring and unique.

That being said, I wish Gilmore the best of luck. But I don't see myself volunteering for him, unless of course he manages to climb some in the polls on his own.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]