Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The "new" Facebook


Just the other day, Facebook at long last rolled out the much anticipated "new" Facebook. Essentially, nothing is really new; everything has just been tossed around in a different way than it was before. My friend Gonzalo Aida alerted me that I was not capable of detecting Facebook's new features because my browser has not been upgraded. Indeed, since since I acquired my desktop in 2005, I have done nothing special to it.
Said Facebook:
You are using an incompatible web browser. Sorry, we're not cool enough to support your browser. Please keep it real with one of the following browsers:
Facebook then proceeded to list a few browsers it likes. I think the new look is so funky (I can see the "new" look when I am on the terminals in the James Branch Cabell Library, a.k.a. Club JBC) I'll not upgrade my browser for the time being (unless I have to). I guess I don't really like change, or something like that.

Comments:
UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER!! It's people like you who help malware spread by using out of date software. This especially applies if you're using IE although any browser that hasn't been updated since 2005 is pretty much vulnerable to some kind of attack.
 
If you update your "old" browser via microsoft updates, and the usual anti-virus, anti-spyware software, then you are not spreading malware. If you are not updating, then you are pretty stupid..sorry...

Upgrade to IE7 if this application (Facebook)is important to you. I can tell you that IE7 "breaks" other "real" applications. Never upgrade just because Microsoft says so...
IMHO, Nick Burns
 
I'm using the latest version of Firefox, but I wasn't able to detect any changes in Facebook's look or interface, either.

What browsers does Facebook recommend?
 
Rick - I forgot...now when I go to new dot facebook dot com, it does not give me an error message anymore, but I do not see any "new" looks, either. It listed, like, three or four browsers considered kosher.
 
I typed in the full "new" URL (www.new.facebook.com) and the result was the new, "improved" interface.

Yuck.

I think I might start a Facebook group called "Facebook Users Who Want the Old Facebook Look Back."
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]