Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Farewell to Reams

Last week while traipsing through Oliver Hall, I was taken aback when I found the office of Dr. Robert Reams seemingly vacant.

Oliver Hall houses VCU's Department of Mathematics, among others.

I could only assume that Dr. Reams' office had been relocated or that - being a journeyman mathematics professor - he decided to accept a teaching position elsewhere.

After searching through the VCU website, I found that Reams has indeed left VCU after at most five years as a professor. Greener pastures must be at SUNY Plattsburgh; on his official VCU webpage, Reams writes:


My new address from August 2008 will be: Room 239E, Hawkins Hall, Department of Mathematics, SUNY Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, NY 12901

This makes SUNY Plattsburgh at least the sixth American university Dr. Reams has taught at. (See Reams' SUNY Plattsburgh faculty listing here.)

The scraggly and often humorless Irishman taught me a pair of 300-level mathematics classes during my sophomore year: Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning, and Linear Algebra. A pure mathematician, Reams' tutelage helped me develop a greater understanding and appreciation for topics such as set theory, the elements of proof, and linear algebra. Were it not for Dr. Reams, I would not have obtained the high degree of mathematical comprehension that I have today.

A farewell to Reams.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]