Sunday, July 12, 2009

Taking the Time to Remember Tony Snow

Today is a day of reflection for many: and a day to look back. One year ago today we lost Tony Snow. Snow was the affable White House Press Secretary from 2006 to 2007, serving a little over a year until he retired due to poor health (and because he could make more money in the private sector: his gig in the White House paid only 180,000 or so dollars annually -- a drop in the bucket compared to what he earned when he worked in media.)

While I pride myself as a person who is knowledgeable on all current events, I readily admit I probably would've passed over the anniversary of Snow's death (it was cancer; he was only 53) had I not tuned into FOX News this morning. Snow, who used to work at FOX, was being remembered fondly by his former Fox News Sunday coworkers in between news stories.

Before I divulge more, I want to say that I still - and perhaps always will - remember when and where I was when I learned of Snow's death: interestingly enough, I was on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., where I was attending the Ron Paul Revolution March, which I blogged about a year ago. (summary here, videos here)

I met up on the Hill with my friends from VCU and my good friend and freedom-lover Conor Murphy, a huge fan and devotee of Snow, broke the news to me. I knew Snow was in poor health, but I was taken aback to learn of his death from Conor.

Robert Dougherty, a contributor at Associated Content, writes a great article on Snow, FOX News, and his role he played as press secretary.

I think Snow will be remembered for years to come, especially in a time in which people think press secretaries are so important. (Who doesn't know who Robert Gibbs is?)

Snow had the pizazz, story, and attractive flair that Ari Fleisher and Scott McClellan did not.

Rest in peace, Tony Snow.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]